The World Cartographic Forum aims to share resources and examples of good practice to support the leadership and activities of national cartographic/mapping societies around the globe.
If you are leader of a national cartographic/mapping society please complete our questionnaire about your organisation. Earlier responses (which may be downloaded here) informed the discussions of our inaugural meeting (minutes), which are summarised in the report for ICA News (2017).
Societies have found the following initiatives to be successful for increasing wider engagement:
- Running an active Facebook page, e.g. BCS (UK), DGfK (Germany), Kartografiska Sällskapetand (Sweden) and IACGIS (Israel)
- Holding an annual conference, e.g. NACIS (US/Canada), BCS (UK), BCA (Bulgaria) and CCA (Canada)
- Holding a children’s map competition and providing awards, e.g. BCS (UK) and CAGIS (US)
- Organising training sessions in cartography, e.g. BCS (UK) and DGfK (Germany)
- Investing in younger members, for example by assigning leadership responsibility
- Issuing regular publications and online resources
News of other successful initiatives and strategies is always welcome and we encourage you to get in touch so that these can be shared with the Forum.
Constitutions of member societies are available here. Societies who are National Members of the ICA are encouraged to follow the format for national reports as specified in the Guidelines for National Reports (from the ICA Directory 2015-19).